Saturday, March 29, 2014

YW Book of Mormon Cake Boss

In February I was put in charge of the YM/YW combined activity. I wanted to do something that everyone would enjoy and link it back to the gospel. As I was brainstorming for an activity I came across a blog here. Book of Mormon Cake Boss! It was super easy to plan and prepare.

First, I chose a couple stories from the Book of Mormon that the youth had to depict through decorating a cake. I picked 4 stories (you can do however many stories and whatever stories you would like). On a piece of paper, I wrote down the title of the story and where to find it in the scriptures.

Next, I bought the decorating supplies. Things we used for cake decorating were: frosting (white), m&m's, pretzels, twizzlers (pull apart ones), marshmallows, graham crackers, tootsie rolls, knives and bowls. We also took food coloring so the youth could color the frosting any way they wanted. If you or any other leaders have cake decorating supplies, make sure to bring them. The night before our mutual activity I baked two cakes 13X9 each. If we had four groups the plan was to cut them each in half to have 4 cakes, but we only needed two.

Set up was super easy. All I needed was three tables. One for each group of youth and one for the decorating supplies. Both were covered in disposable table clothes = super easy clean up!

The youth were split into two groups. I let each group pick a piece of paper with the story and where it could be found in the scriptures. The stories the youth chose were: The Tree of Life and Samuel the Lamanite. They were each provided with a Book of Mormon so they could look up the story if needed, then they were let loose on the decorating!


After both groups were done decorating their cakes, we had each group of youth tell us the scripture story they had chosen and decorated their cake based on. I was so impressed by the youth's knowledge of the scripture stories! Then a leader shared their testimony of the importance of the Book of Mormon. At the end we cut up the cakes and had those as our treat for the night. It was a great activity and I will definitely be doing it again!


4 comments:

  1. This is great, Alex! You are such an outstanding leader and example, and have so much to offer the youth. Way to go! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! I am the author of the Jolly Rogers Young Women blog that you linked to above - I was so excited to run across your post on Pinterest! I'm so glad you had success with the activity. Would you mind if I linked your blog post about this to my original post so that people can see what you (and others) have done? I'm going to look for others who have done similar activities as well. Let me know if thats ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I would love for you to link my post to yours original post. Thanks for the awesome idea! We had so much fun!

      Delete
    2. Awesome! I've linked to your blog from my post here http://ldsywideasandactivities.blogspot.com/2012/08/book-of-mormon-cake-challenge.html

      Delete