Sunday, September 27, 2015

Baby Nursery

Photo cred: kelseyhadleyphotography
Photo cred: kelseyhadleyphotography
Photo Cred: kelseyhadleyphotography

Photo Cred: kelseyhadleyphotography
Photo Cred: kelseyhadleyphotography

Baby Hawkes is now 4 months old but this nursery is still as cute as ever! It was such a fun project to work on! 
  • Crib: Emerson from Pottery Barn Kids
  • Bunny and Fox pictures: Target
  • Glider/Recliner: Homegoods-sidenote, I was so worried about getting a white chair for the nursery because there was so much white already, but with some experimentation with pillows and blankets it has been perfect!
  • Gold Side Table: Homegoods
  • Lamp: Target
  • Pillows and Blanket on Chair: Homegoods
  • Sheepskin Rug: Homegoods
  • Sheep Crib Sheet and Changing Pad Cover: Land of Nod
  • Mobile: DIY project! Tutorial here.
  • Dresser: Awesome DI find and the hubby refinished it! See the before and after here.
  • Quilt: DIY project! Look here for more info.
  • Vase/Flowers: Michaels (everything I got from Michaels was 50% off, it was a score!)

Baby Quilt Tutorial

I love to make quilts, especially BABY quilts! So when I was expecting I went on the hunt to find the perfect one. I found this super cute quilt tutorial here

Picking out the fabric for this quilt was so hard for me! I knew I wanted some bluish, minty colors along with some coral and neutrals. I searched multiple stores and almost gave up on the last one but by some miracle started making connections with fabrics at the last minute!  

I have to give a lot of credit to my amazing grandma on this quilt, she pushed me to get it done just a week and half before baby H was born! She also did a lot of the hard work with cutting, pressing, etc. She let me just sit in a chair with my big belly and sew my heart out. 

Once all the blocks were made I lined everything up how I wanted it before sewing it into rows. I also ended up making a little smaller quilt than in the tutorial but I think it turned out to be the perfect size!

Once the top was ready I went ahead and freehanded the quilting-only took about an hour, it was fabulous! All that is left is the binding and it's done.

So happy with how cute it turned out! 

Thursday, September 24, 2015

DIY Refinished Dresser

When looking for the dresser for the nursery I wanted something that looked a little more old fashioned. I told my awesome aunt who is the best bargain shopper I've ever met and she quickly snatched this up! This dresser was a steal and it even had a huge mirror that went above it! We had to fix a few drawers but that was easy. 

This is originally how it looked and we decided we wanted to paint it to give it a cleaner look. So we went to work with sanding... and sanding.. and a little bit more sanding... We then had to strip the rest of the paint off of it. 


Once the paint was stripped we were ready to go for the painting. The hubby was a champ! This was not an easy project to paint. 

The handles on the dresser were originally gold colored, but were super dirty, so I found a tutorial online of how to clean them... and it didn't work. So we went to the next best thing and spray painted all of the handles gold. They looked perfect!

And...this is how it looked after it was all put together! TADA!

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

DIY Flower Nursery Mobile

When I was first designing the nursery, I looked around for all sorts of ideas. When shopping for a mobile to go over the crib everything I saw was SO expensive. With me needing to quit my job due to pregnancy complications, we were putting together this nursery on a budget! I was inspired by a picture of a mobile I saw on an Etsy shop (the mobile was over $100!!). So I decided I needed to do it myself, which I did, for $5. That's right, $5! 

I headed to the craft store, bought 5 blocks of felt, each costing 20 cents. I bought a little container of pearls and that was all I needed. I had leftover wreath material from a different project and I used fishing line I already had to string the mobile. 

I found a template for the felt flowers on Pinterest here.

Cut out the felt in the shape of the template. Once cut, start by rolling the felt from the outside in and occasionally put a dot of hot glue in there while rolling. When you get to the middle, hot glue the middle piece to the bottom of the flower. (The cutting can take a long time.. I recommend turning on netflix and going at it!) 

Once I had my flowers made I cut fishing line to the length I wanted it (you can decide that too). Then I taped the line to a hard surface so it was easier to control. I then used a needle to thread the fishing line through the center of the flowers and pearls. I would recommend tying a knot or putting a dot of glue near the center of the flower when on the proper place in the line so it doesn't slide down. 

You can design your mobile strings however you want. I didn't make my strings all the same length. Some have 4 flowers on them, some 3, some 2. Some started at the top with a pearl, some started at the top with a flower. It was fun to make it random. 

Once all my flowers and pearls were threaded I tied the strands to the wreath. Then I hung it from the ceiling using more fishing line... and TADA!

Photo Cred: kelseyhadleyphotography